Wednesday, January 26, 2011

1000 Awesome Things?

A friend recently suggested I submit something to 1000AwesomeThings.com.

Even stinging cuts can be awesome.

I really like Neil. I saw his TED Talks video and found I really agree with his philosophy and was touched by his story.



But something about the website/concept doesn't sit that well with me. Some of the things are sort of selfish. Virtually all of them involve gratification. 

What I find inspiring is being able to take delight in things that Neil would probably NOT consider awesome.

Suppose you are having a really shitty day because a ton of dirty snow got in your car and you had to sit in it and your butt got all cold and wet, and etc etc. 

I'd love to see someone describe how THIS is still awesome. And I mean AWESOME.

Because ideally we'd be able to experience the world where everything was awesome, right? Not just the things we already think are cool, because that's easy. That's like just skipping to dessert and pronouncing cake to be where it's at. 

I say Brussles sprouts are just as tasty, even if they are a little burnt.

...

Then sometimes I think (because clearly I have thought about this website quite a bit) that maybe I have to start relishing even the "good" things in life more, if I have such hang-ups over them / this website!

H
ahaha, nah, I enjoy the shit out of life. :)



So, I decided to submit something not "obviously" awesome. 

Life cannot be a game of hopscotch, jumping from gratification to gratification. The entire experience of being alive can be blissful, and our preferences for the smell of coffee over the smell of boiled cabbage lead us to frown when we're over the stew pot.


My submission: "humdrum overcast days"
Those days that at first glance make you go "bleh" ... but they don't have to. One on such day in college a friend said he loved this sort of weather, and I thought, "Awesome!"

Ok, at first I thought, "Are you nuts?!" but then I realized that if I could enjoy overcast days as much as brilliant sunshine-y days, I'd be a much happier person.

So often we only seek out things we already consider pleasurable. In their absence we flounder, miserable, searching for the next whiff of coffee or perfect-nacho-off-someone-else's-plate. Not everything is immediately jubilant, but it doesn't mean we can't come to appreciate -- nay, REVEL -- in all the other details, too.

1 comment:

  1. I was in Ann Arbor visiting AG when I discovered that blog, and in a brilliantly euphoric mood anyway. Later in the day I was walking with her and someone was coming down the street towards her. We did that side-to-side-to-side thing that happens when both parties try to step aside in the same direction at the same time.
    Adrienne said, "Oh, I hate that."
    And I laughed and said, "I love it! It's like you get to do a little dance with a perfect stranger. How great is that?"

    There was a moment, just before I replied, where I decided to take the positive interpretation. 1000 Things, and your blog, are both great for helping me recognize that critical instant of decision that lets me see a situation as something that makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete